Wednesday

some important decisions

Here are some big things that I work on from the beginning of a first draft and all the way through revisions: framing, point of view, and giving characters entrances. I may add other things to this section by and by, like developing characters and writing dialogue, but for now, this is what I have:

Framing
What is “framing”? To me, “framing” a story means crafting the way the reader enters, views, and experiences the story. A first chapter is the doorway into the story and it opens from there. You might go through the doorway and find yourself in a vast landscape with the whole world of the story already open all around you, or you might enter into a dim chamber that opens into a dark corridor where you catch glimpses of shadowy things as the story ushers you along. Is it airy or claustrophobic? Tense or calm? Mysterious? Funny? Shocking? It’s all up to you.

The framing establishes how the reader experiences everything.

Imagine your book is a world and you are the god of it and your reader is a tiny human navigating it. Your first job is to pick up that reader by the collar and drop him into your world. Where are you going to drop him? Will he land hard or soft? What’s the first thing he’s going to see? How much will he know and understand by the end of the first paragraph? The first chapter?

What do you want the reader to wonder about and hope for and fear? You want to set up certain expectations, and you want to dash some hopes -- but first you’ve got to put the readers where you want them. You have the power.

Point of View
Framing has a lot to do with Point of View. From what narrative perspective is the reader experiencing the action of the book? In first person through the eyes of the main character? From a limited third-person? Omniscient? This is what determines what the reader can see and know and there are many different way to go about it.

For me, I find it impossible to stick with one point of view. I use a third-person limited POV, but I switch whose POV it is, depending on whose perspective I think will make a given scene the most interesting. This is a classic no-no in children’s fiction but I just had to disregard it. I think I’ve done it in a way that ushers the readers along smoothly with me, so they don’t get disoriented or even really realize I’m doing it. (Fingers crossed. No one has yet said otherwise!) For example, at certain points I want the reader to know what Magpie is thinking, so I’m in her POV. At other points I want the reader to see what’s happening to her, as the other characters around her are seeing it, so I slip into one of their POVs.

This might sound confusing, but to show you what I mean: in Chapters 15 and 16 of Blackbringer, Magpie meets the Magruwen for the first time. Over the course of about 18 pages, the POV shifts several times between Magpie’s experience of the Magruwen, and the Magruwen’s experience of Magpie. Sure, I could have chosen just one or the other, but I felt it was richer and more fun to be able to experience it all, so I did what I wanted to do and hoped for the best.

Thank goodness, my editor did not ask me to revise the book down to a single POV. It would have been impossible for me. This is how I have to do it to have the freedom to frame scenes in whatever I feel is the “coolest” POV for that scene. To see what I mean, read the climax, Chapter 39, and imagine if it were only told from Magpie’s POV. See how much you wouldn’t be able to see and know? There are scenes in that chapter when we know the Blackbringer’s thoughts, and segments where we are with Talon, watching Magpie. For me, this gives me the freedom to pan around the scene and tease out the most dramatic frame for each part of the action.

I put extra spaces between scenes where the POV shifts, so usually in the first line of the new scene you know whose POV you’re in without having to think about it. Like I said, I hope no one even notices this until I mention it. The goal is always flow and a feeling of inevitability. When I’m watching a movie, the only times I notice technical stuff like camera work or the soundtrack are either if someone points it out to me, or if it’s badly done so it sticks out. I want to be swept into the movie and not be thinking of the fact that somebody made it. I want it to just be. Same with a book. I want to forget that it isn’t real and simply experience it. And as a writer, I want to provide an escapist experience for my readers.

There may, however, arise places where I haven’t handled things as deftly as I could, where I slip back and forth too rapidly between POVs, where you are in one character’s thoughts and you suddenly find yourself knowing a different character’s thoughts. That’s not okay. It’s got to be crafted carefully, and revisions are the place to really take this on.

Giving Characters “Entrances”
One of my favorite things is introducing my characters. This is a very important specific kind of framing. You want to set up your readers to feel a certain way about your characters, and you do this from the very first glimpse of them. How does the reader “meet” them? What are they doing or saying? This is somewhere I’m always trying to brainstorm up the “coolest” possible narrative choice.

The writer Sid Fleishman said at a SCBWI conference that you have to give your character “an entrance” -- an interesting and memorable introduction, and I agree with that entirely. In The Golden Compass, we meet Lyra sneaking and hiding and spying on her uncle. We immediately know a lot about her, and we also get to learn a lot by virtue of her spying and what she overhears. That’s a great frame and a great entrance. I chose to have readers meet Magpie while she’s doing what she does best: hunting devils. Take a look at some of your favorite books and memorable characters and see what those writers did, how they set you up to meet their characters, how they built windows through which you would experience the world of their story.

It’s craft. It’s a big part of the author’s power, and a big part of the fun of writing.

12 comments:

Amber said...

This is all really great information. The POV stuff gives me a lot to think about.

:)

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Laini,
I just read Blackbringer and am so impressed! I loved reading it, and when I finished, I starting it again two days later, to really look more closely at what you did with 3rd person limited POV. It's masterful, and you ROCK!
Also, I'm really enjoying this blog about the craft and storms of writing - good thoughts, well presented and very personal. Oh, and I agree about the robots...
For me, it's hard and joyous work!
I also really like thinking about the "entrances." I think I was doing it unconsciously, but it's great to put it out there to really think through
Thanks so much!
Lee

Q said...

Your POVs did flow smoothly. I don't think I really even noticed much shifting because it felt so natural.

I consider a book well-written in limited third person when I have to go back and check to make sure that it was not first person--Blackbringer was one I had to check.

jaecy bells said...

I think that the "character introduction" is an important part in books that I enjoy and that I need to work on. I never even thought of it until I read your website-- thanks, Ms Taylor!

jaecy bells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is my favourite essay. (-:
Now I see what I have always been missing! Why I get so comfuzzled when shaping of scenes and shizz! My character entrances are never right!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS.

Term Papers said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

Mae said...

I LOVE switching POVS! Whenever I do third-person limited, I'm switching around, giving you a full view too. Like MARYTONGA, current title for this book, first you get different POVs depending on what's happening to who. For character entrances, I do something that says 'this is what happened before'. Like in my book FIRE, which I'm still in the first chapter of, you meet Jessica eating breakfast. She's slightly introduced you to her world- told you her element was Fire, but hopefully you're surprised when- wait, that's a spoiler. OK, since it's not getting published for about ten years, you meet Kana, the Faerie. Then Neil (amnesiac) just sort of appears, in a very lost way, Eryn comes down the steps, and scares Jessica just by being Eryn. You also get some facts about her horrible childhood- she ran away when she was eight. Then Luke gets introduced as being a jerk. OK, I'm rambling here. Maybe I should do my own blog!

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) If you want to stop your divorce.
(10 If you want to divorce your husband.
(11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

chinayadongnet said...


I subscribed to your Feed too.

일본야동
Also visit my web site 일본야동

Herryjony said...

Searching for take my online classes? Takeyouronlineclasses has the best online class takers who provide instant help with online classes, courses & exams.